Michie Tavern, established in 1784, was originally located in northern Albemarle County until it was relocated 17 miles away onto its present site in 1927. Located one mile from Monticello, it serves as an example of a lodging, dining and community gathering place in the colonial times. Today, it is a museum and one of the best places to have lunch in town, served by people in colonial dress. There is one stipulation....you must go there hungry!!
Michie Tavern is open from 11:15 am - 3:30 pm daily April through October and 11:30 am - 3:00 pm November through March. Its address is 683 Thomas Jefferson Parkway, Charlottesville, Virginia 22902.
- The price is Adult Buffet: $17.95
- Youth Buffet (12-15) $10.95
- Youth Buffet (6-11) $6.95
- Vegetarian Rate: $10.95
- One child under six eats free for each paying adult
- The menu is Southern Fried Chicken, Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork Barbecue, Marinated Baked Chicken Homemade Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Black-eyed Peas, Stewed Tomatoes, Green Beans, Cole Slaw, Whole Baby Beets and Cornbread and Biscuits. Dessert usually consists of a seasonal cobbler a la mode.
- Traditional brews and a selection of wines are available.
- Seating is indoors and outdoors seasonally on their covered courtyard.
- You are welcome to participate in a self-guided tour of the Tavern itself.
There is a General Store onsite in an old mercantile atmosphere filled with a wide variety of items. The Clothier Shop on the second floor offers a variety of linens, quilts and period items. For more detailed information, please visit www.michietavern.com.